“Does your baby poop inside you? Do you have to poop out their poop?” Conversations you never thought you’d have!I guess it had never really occurred to me that I would be the one breaking the news to my students and families about my pregnancy. For some reason I assumed that administration would handle it, or some adorable little maternity elves would magically take care of it for me. I was clearly misguided in my understanding of how the whole pregnancy thing works, and I’m sure it won’t be the last time.
- Where do babies come from?
- How do grown-ups decide they’re ready to have a baby?
- How does your body start growing a baby? Do you have to say a magic word or something to make it start?
- Do you have to go to the doctor and tell them you want a baby?
- How do you activate the egg? Do you press a button or something, like your belly button?
- How do you get the baby out? Where does it come out?
- Why do some babies come out of their mommies tummies and some come out of their privates?
- How do you know it’s ready to come out?
- If there is a hole for it to come out of, how does it not fall out before it’s ready?
- How do babies get food?
- Do babies poop inside you?
- If babies poop inside you, do you have to poop out their poop too?
- Why do eggs turn into chicks in chickens, but they turn into humans in humans?
- How does the baby break out of its egg before it comes out? It doesn’t have a beak!
- Does it tickle when it kicks you?
- Will it hurt?
- Why can only girls have babies in their tummies?
- (and again) When are you going to get fat?